Trying to pack for open ended backpacking…
This is something I have been trying to get my head around for a few days and I have been feeling a little lost!
I mean packing for a 2 week holiday is hard enough. How do I know what I am going to need in 3 months time? How many clothes do I need? How do I fit everything I might need into one bag?!
Oh gosh there are so many questions. And I feel as though the things that I take with me and how organised I feel will have a huge affect on my Slow Living on the Go journey…
Anyway I’ve sort of managed to try and tackle this issue by following a few simple pointers. I’ve been scrolling through Jessica Rose Williams‘ beautiful and very useful blog to help me out too.
- Less is better. At first I thought I’d need to take loads of tops and underwear etc. I’ve finally decided though that less is probably better. Anything I don’t have I can surely buy at some point on my travels right? And I think I will feel a lot more organised if I have fewer items of clothes.
- Any clothing item that is a ‘maybe’ automatically becomes a no. I spent ages sorting things into piles: yes, no and maybe. Often my ‘maybe’ pile sneaks its way into my case but this time no! I’ve figured I should only take things I am definitely 100% comfortable wearing. I have such limited space that I might as well only take the very best selection of things.
- Mix and match – Any opportunity to mix and match outfits is surely a plus right? As a result I’ve decided to take mainly black and white tops to match with more colourful bottoms (trousers/skirts/shorts). I have then got a few dresses and tops that are more colourful for beaches / evenings / something a little smarter. I am hoping this works for me!
- Good footwear – I was a little lost with what shoes to take. Do I take loads of flip flops and different trainers for different occasions? Do I buy shoes out there? Now shoes are sooo bulky and I don’t want to be lugging loads around. I have decided to invest in a pair of Birkenstocks that will be super comfy yet cool and airy to wear whilst wandering around. I’ll then take a pair of trainers for treks and running and then some little flip flops that can tuck in easily for showers/beaches etc.
- Packing cubes – I was really interested in getting some sort of system for packing that would make it feel that little bit more organised. Living out of a bag is not going to be easy I fear so anything I can do now to make it less complicated will be useful in the long run! I researched on Amazon for HOURS trying to find the right thing. Affordable yet still good quality and the right selection of bags. In the end I went for this one. I’ll let you know how it goes!
So hopefully I will manage to fit everything in that I need to take and it works for me when I actually arrive. I will update you all on how it goes and write another post in a few months time no doubt about how I would recommend to pack for open ended backpacking. Once I know what worked well and what I would do differently!
If you have any tips do let me know!